Concept Check Questions
• Which works better in high viscosity: an oar or a propeller?
• What other motility machinery is genetically related to the archaellum?
• What motility machinery works like a grappling hook?
• How can Mycoplasma divide if they lose FtsZ?
• Albers and Jarrell (2018). The archaellum: An update on the unique archaeal motility structure .
• Berg (2003). The rotary motor of bacterial flagella .
• Jarrell and McBride (2008). The surprisingly diverse ways that prokaryotes move .
• Muñoz-Dorado et al. (2016). Myxobacteria: Moving, killing, feeding, and surviving together .
• Shrivastava and Berg (2015). Towards a model for Flavobacterium gliding .