Concept Check Questions
• How can cells perform anaerobic respiration without a soluble electron acceptor?
• How does a microcompartment make a metabolic reaction more efficient?
• What kind of macromolecule makes up a bacterial microcompartment shell?
• What is a secondary use for enzyme filaments?
• Barry and Gitai (2011). Self-assembling enzymes and the origins of the cytoskeleton .
• Hoppert and Mayer (1999). Principles of macromolecular organization and cell function in bacteria and archaea .
• Kerfeld et al. (2018). Bacterial microcompartments .
• Oostergetel et al. (2010). The chlorosome: A prototype for efficient light harvesting in photosynthesis .